Week 7: Rub-A-Dub

Last night, I finally decided it was time. Time to clean the pony.

My disgusting little tidbit of a horse was just intolerably dirty, so I hooked him up in his rope halter and walked him up to the feed barn where my tack house is residing and made him learn to ground tie so he didn’t attack the bags of grain with the fury of all his wild ancestors. He stood like a gentleman right outside the garage door and watched me get out the grooming tote and shampoo.

I spent some time trying to get him to hop up on the wash rack, which he can totally get his front feet up on, but is really just too tired and fatigued by the thought of getting his back feet up on to do it. So I made him stand there for a while with his front feet up on it and his back feet mere inches from the platform. You know, until he fell asleep. Typical Smokey style.

Since I’m a wuss and didn’t want to pull him up there, I decided we could bathe standing next to the wash rack instead. This was probably a better choice all in all since he danced around like a retard for a while before he finally just gave in. He REALLY wasn’t happy about the water on any back past his shoulder at first, but kind of gave in after a while. Then he was mad about it on his back legs, but finally got over even that. I got to curry/shampoo his whole body (I skipped his lower legs since I didn’t want him to suddenly decide to dance over me while I was bent down) and even got to do his mane and tail. His tail is pretty awesome, as far as tails go. It’s super long and parts of it drag the ground, but it needed some attention pretty badly. I shampooed and conditioned it and then put Vetrolin in it in hopes of keeping it somewhat clean and detangled.

Interspersed with all the bathing that happened he spent some time drinking out of the hose and trying to bite the spray nozzle. I swear he was a dog in a past life.

All clean!

Seeing as how this is Atlanta and we have about 97% humidity every single day of the summer, he wasn’t drying, so I decided to make him do a tiny bit of work after his bath. I took him back to ground tie at the feed barn which he did really well this time and got out the longeline and training flag. He followed me down to the arena and trotted both directions a little.

He does challenge me from time to time, and last night was no exception. He’ll duck his shoulder in and see if I catch it and get after him (which I typically do). I swished the flag at him and gave him a big incorrect buzzer sound and he got the message. It takes him a second after that, but then we get the “I’m thinking about what I’ve done, mom” licking and chewing. After that, he was quite well behaved. And he’s doing so well in the rope halter right now, I’m thrilled. Next up, we’ll see if that can help us while I’m on him.

Also, let me show off my tack “room” now that it is installed in its new home. I’m in love. I’m the most spoiled little girl on the planet. You all know you wish you had a dad who built you one. 🙂 Also, if you really DO want to build one and have questions on dimensions, let me know. I can help you out.

About smokeythemustang

I'm just a girl who loves horses, who's asking horses to love her back. Right now I'm training a wild mustang. Or he's training me. You decide.
This entry was posted in Tack, Training, Week 7 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Tell Me What You Think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s